Followers

Monday, December 7, 2020

Embedded Questions

 - An embedded question is a question that is included inside another question or statement.

- Usually they are use after an introductory paragraph, such as:

I wonder
Could you tell me
Do you know
Can you remember
Let's ask
We need to find out
I'd like to know

There are certain rules in order to use an embbededed question correctly.

1- In first place, if the embedded question is a part of a statement, it is necessary to use a period at the end not a question mark. Also, it is necessary to omit auxiliary verbs, such as do, does or did, and use the verb in the appropiate form.

Ex: 

Direct QuestionWhat time did he leave?
Embedded QuestionI wonder what time he left.

2- Secondly, If the embedded question includes the verb to be, it is necessary to reverse the position of the subject and the verb.

Ex: 
Direct QuestionCan you help me?
Embedded QuestionI wonder if you could help me.

Direct QuestionIs he a doctor?
Embedded QuestionDo you know if he is a doctor?

3- Thirdly, when there is no question word in the sentence, embedded questions should be introduce by whether, whether or not, or if.

Ex:

Direct Yes/No QuestionWill he be there?
Embedded QuestionDo you know if he will be there?
Do you know whether or not he will be there?
Do you know whether he will be there or not?

4- Finally, in embedded questions an infinitive can follow a question word.

Ex: 
Direct QuestionWhat should I do?
Embedded QuestionPlease tell me what I should do.
Embedded Question with an InfinitivePlease tell me what to do.



My experience: 

I found this topic a bit complex, since there are different rules and structures to make an embbededed question correctly. However, with practice and analyzing the examples it is quite easy to understand.







(click here to watch a video about embedded questions)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Exercise of analyzing

Here is a video of an exercise I did with a classmate where we analyzed different graphics, essays, and articles.